Sunday, May 19, 2013

Hope is 14 Today!

Today is Hope's 14th Birthday.  This birthday is very important.  No it's not a sweet 16 or even the 18th birthday.  You see, if Hope had not been adopted by today, she would not have ever known what a family is.  When I think of how important the 14th birthday is to a waiting child in China, well it just brings a whole new excitement to this birthday to the child who is home.  This is also Hope's first birthday with a family.  I took her to the grocery store this morning to buy her birthday lunch (and to get her out of the house so the rest of the family could decorate the house to surprise her).  She was so excited to just go by herself with me.  And I let her sit in the front seat. Another big deal for Hope.  I let Hope get the free cookie (she asked "does this cost you money?").  And then she got a sample of some chicken & veggies (she asked again if it would cost me money).  When I told her no, it did not cost money, she lit up with a big smile and gladly accepted.  On our way home, I asked if she was happy. She said she was very happy. I asked her if she remembered her last birthday.  She said "Yes, I was in China. Mommy & Daddy gave me a cake".  Then she said "That was my first birthday party". I said "Did you know when your birthday was before the party?"  She replied "No, I didn't know my birthday". I wanted to cry. I knew her answer would be that, but hearing it from her mouth just made it real.

So today we wanted to spoil Hope with her first birthday at home.  Bill & I went and bought Hello Kitty supplies (she LOVES Hello Kitty).  Bill & I also picked up a cake (she asked me at the grocery store if we would get a cake and I told her no, just ice cream).  When we brought out her cake after lunch, she was HAPPY!

Hope has come a long way. She is really trying to fit into the family life. She does still need more attention, but she is getting better.  She moved downstairs into her own bedroom and she is SO happy.  9 months ago, Hope was terrified of the water.  Today she was jumping into the pool and swimming under the water.  She loves the pool.

I think Hope had a great birthday. She LOVED her gifts, she loved her lunch, she loved her cake. And at the end of the day everyone had a root beer float.  Yes, our kids were on a sugar high, but it's okay.  They were all having fun.

I am so thankful that Hope will NEVER have to spend another birthday in an orphanage.  Or alone.  She is surrounded by so many who love her.  And I know that she knows she's one lucky girl.  The smile proves how happy she is.  And we are happy that she is happy.

Enjoy the photos.   Happy Birthday Miss Hope. We love you!











3 comments:

  1. Hope has changed so much from that little girl I saw at the orphanage. She truly seems happy! You are the perfect family for her!

    I look forward to reading about many more happy birthdays for this sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 14th Birthday, Precious Hope!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday HOPE!! What a blessing to have her home sweet home!!

    It looks like you had a wonderful day!!

    I will show Mia (Huai Yun Ke) your pictures- she will love to see them!!

    ReplyDelete