Monday, August 13, 2012

Consulate Appointment and Update

We woke the girls up at 7 AM to get ready to eat and then get on the bus for our consulate appointment.  The final step before we can get home.  We arrived. Different room than last time.  This is our 4th adoption and we have been to 3 different places for the US Consulate.  :-)  A lady finally came over the speaker and gave us instructions on what to do once we are finished here and enter the states.  Then we all had to stand, raise our right hand and repeat after her.  The 2nd sentence I could hardly say, I got choked up and tears swelled.  This is happening. The girls will be US citizens very soon. This makes me so happy.  We then wait for our turn.  The same lady (who is from the US) called us up. SUPER sweet and nice.  She went through our papers, I had to sign, the girls had to sign. Then Hope needed to get fingerprinted because she is 13.  That's it. We were done.  Tomorrow Kelly will pick up our brown envelope and their passports. We e are to keep the brown envelope safe & sound with us and not open.  We will give immigration these unopened envelopes when we land in Newark. As soon as we get through there, the girls are US Citizens.  I confirmed with the lady that we will not have to do anything else, because of their age. And she said 'NO, as soon as you get through immigration, they are citizens, as long as you plan to live in the states".  



An update on my last post.  First I want to thank everyone who has sent messages.  You have reassured us that what we are experiencing is normal and how we are handling it is good.  Emotions are everywhere and we're just so tired of being in a hotel room. The girls want nothing to do with swimming, and they hate shopping. So we just sit in the room and watch TV (they seem content doing this).  Bill & I on the other hand are tired of this.  

So, last night.....The girls did not fight me on the discipline I gave (no showers/shampoo and going to bed).  They changed, and got into bed. Maggie did cry. We comforted her.  We also hugged and kissed Hope.  They were asleep by 7:30 I think and slept ALL NIGHT. We woke them up at 7.  Maggie acted a little distant for a little bit.  But we still hugged her and then she came around. She did ask if she could take a shower when she woke up and I told her "No".  She did not complain.  Hope is Hope and smiling and laughing.  The spitting is starting to get under control.  But we still have to remind her.  We told our guide about last night and she seemed upset.  She talked to Hope AGAIN today and Hope stayed with us. If she walked ahead she remembered to stop and wait and come back for our hand.  So, we know what we are doing is working.  And we know we will be tested. We know they are not used to any kind of discipline at all.  And they are not used to having a mom and dad around 24/7.  Things have improved A LOT since last week.  It has only been a week, I have to keep reminding myself this.  

Last night, I said "I love you Hope". She usually repeats what I say. But last night when I said that, she said "I love you mommy".  Melt my heart!!!!  After she says I love you in English, she repeats it in Chinese.  So I know she understands what she is saying.  Hope is super smart and eager to learn.  

Again, thank you for the support you have given us. Thank you for the prayers.  We are anxious to get home.  We are scheduled to land in Newark around 2 PM I think Thursday afternoon. And land in Tampa around 9:28 PM if there are no delays.  I will be able to update Facebook and the blog if there are some delays.  

Right now we are chilling out in the hotel room.  We are going to meet the group at 3 for more shopping and maybe we'll get to go out for dinner with the group tonight.  

Love & Hugs from Guangzhou, China!!!!

12 comments:

  1. Praise God for good days!! One day closer to home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny PresnellAugust 13, 2012

    So glad things are going so good, I have been praying for you all :) I'll keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are going better! You two are doing amazing with everything that is going on!! You are almost home! YAY!!!! I hope we can make it to the airport to see you guys come in!

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad things are getting better and the girls are adjusting. Enjoy your last few days in China. I remember being anxious to get home at this point too. Be safe and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that things are getting better. It will continue to do so...praying for a safe uneventful trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful, wonderful!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, We have been following your blog and are so happy for you that you are almost at the end of this adventure and back home! You've almost made it! It has been a helpful and interesting experience following your journey with my new 7 year old daughter Marilyn JiaBing. She asked to see picture of Maggie this morning on our computer and is always very thoughtful after seeing the pictures and we have lots to talk about. Congratulations again on adding these two new precious miracles to your family!
    -Laura Parker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm...somebody has been busy taking pictures for another momma. I was just reading "There's no place like home" and didn't even look at the name of the person who sent her pics of their daughter. Well I looked at it but it didn't register until I recognized one of the girls then I frantically started looking for Maggie or Hope....and there was Maggie. Of course,then I went back to see who she had named as the woman who sent the pictures. Too Funny. What a sweet thing you did for them. You sure made their day. The countdown is on now...you are going to be home soon!! Yea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're almost done! It sounds like they are doing very well- and will do so much better once you're home! I had to laugh when you were talking about the pool. Makenna wanted nothing to do with swimming either...fast forward 2 months home. She is a fish! She dives down to the bottom of the deep end of our pool to get the rings- she is amazing! It's so hard to believe how quickly these girls grow and change. Truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're one day closer to Home! Yeah. Just in case you don't have time to Blog before your flight home, I wanted to wish you a safe Journey. I hope Maggie doesn't get sick on the plane and that they both are good travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so thankful everything seems to be going in the right direction- praise GOD!!

    I will be praying you home!!

    In the past we have gone to marco island for a vacation. We hope to spend more time on the gulf coast in the future- so let's stay in contact! Your girls and our girls would have so much fun!!

    We won't be there this year because of our Chine trip but hopefully next year!!
    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, wished I could have gone swimming more often. I only managed twice, and once was before I got my daughter. It might be good for them to sit in the chairs and watch you and your husband enjoy yourselves in the pool. You'll get a break and they can see that you both have a life together and love each other.

    ReplyDelete