Monday, August 6, 2012

Gotcha Day Night

Ok, so I posted on FB no post tonight.  Because Maggie got out of her bed and climbed into ours and is snuggling next to me. She passed out within 30 seconds I think.  so I did not think I should blog. But she, Hope & Bill are all snoring so I'm going to try before I lose my thoughts.

So today......nothing like I had hoped. Yeah, I admit I had this dream that the girls would see us and come running yelling "mama, baba".  Didn't happen. They did not even look at us.  It was like they did not even recognize us.  We did not know what to do. We were in a small room with 4 other families who were also meeting their younger children for the first time. Chaos!

When the director was leaving, Maggie let loose and was sobbing. Hope joined in.  It broke our hearts. We did not know what to do. Bill had his hand on Maggie's shoulders and that was okay.  Hope was pushing me & our guide away.  She acted more mad than upset.

We decided to finish our paperwork there so they could calm down. That took longer than I expected.  By time we left Civil Affairs, it was close to an hour of them arriving and they were fine. They were happy once we got into the van.  Still not touching or anything. But there was smiles.

We stopped at the bank to get the money. We were able to both get enough to cover the fees for tomorrow. Thank you Lord!  Prayers answered. But that took about 30 min.  UGH

We came to hotel. Girls were amazed. Never been in a building this tall (29 stories). Mags was scared in the elevator. She did not say it, but she was holding on tight.  Hope was oblivious.  We got in room and they were beaming.  Looked through EVERYTHING.  Even our closed suitcases.  Our guide took us to supermarket and oh man, what an experience.  H was so curious. And excited. And grabbing everything.  And we let her. Mags picked up some things too. And told Hope to put things back.  We finally said "get us out of the candy section".  Hope knows no boundaries. Hope has some habits I hope to break very soon. Like spitting. In public places. Like the restaurant.  GROSS!

We came back and our guide left.  Then the eating began.  Non-stop eating.  Lasted about 2 hours. Then Mags says "I'm hungry".  What???  So we went to the noodle shop downstairs.  Um, nobody told me how large the portions were.  HUGE!  (I took pictures but not sure it will do it justice).  Mags ate most of hers and then said "tummy hurt".

We tried to find the children's playground that the signs say in the elevator. None. And the people looked at us like we were weird. But the girls saw the pool.  So we might have to do that one day. Even though we really don't want to.

OH, we went back to supermarket after dinner because Mags wanted to buy "jelly" for her friends at the orphanage.  It looks like gel.  I had to hide it so they did not eat it.

We did get laughs out of the girls. We blew up a beach ball.  tons of giggles.  Hope likes to have control of the TV remote.  Oh joy!  Her & Jadyn will be fighting over that at home.

One thing that was so cute (there were several tonight but this is one)....I decided to put up families blogs who have already adopted from Huainan.  The girls FREAKED out.  They were so excited.  They were taking pictures of the photos on the blogs. They were yelling each girls name with smiles.  It was good. They also skyped with one of their friends.  I wish I knew what they were saying. But the smiles on their faces were priceless.

They met their sisters & brother.  Maggie was very interested.  H could care less.  She's more interested in taking photos. I bet she's taken close to 500 now.

At one point, they seemed bored so I suggested a bath. They were excited.  They do not care if I see them naked, but do not want Bill to see them.  I like that.  And so does Bill.  When they got out they put their PJ's on.  and they looked so clean. Mags asked if she needed to wash her clothes. Bless her little heart!

Then it happened.  Touch.  First on my shoulders, then on my back. Then sitting on my lap. Then asking to take pictures with me. Then telling (yes telling) H to get in the picture.  And she is calling me mommy or mama.  Love it. She started calling Bill baba as soon as we left civil affairs.

At 8:15 we said "go to bed". Hope snuck more food.  We took it from her. She finally turned the TV off. OH, Mags climbed in bed and was snuggling with me.  She passed out.  Everyone is sleeping. I should be too.

Here are some pictures  Thanks for all the words of encouragement.  I wish I had time to reply. But the girls don't like when I'm on here. :-)

Maggie's bowl of noodles

Hope's bowl of noodles 
She laughed so hard riding the escalator 

Maggie was more scared


Watching TV

After their bath

Learning Angry Birds

Hope's favorite spot.   
First photo that was not forced

Taking photos of their friends who have already been adopted (giving them to director tomorrow)

taking photos of friends on their blogs

Did not want their photo taken in bed. :-)

11 comments:

  1. Bill and Debbie we are so excited for your family. I told our girls all about your family over dinner last night. We are praying for you as you travel. The Brocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I'm so happy for you! Sounds like a day of great ups and a few downs. Hang in there! Day one is done and better days are on their way. I'm so glad that they finally have their "Mama Baba"! I hope today will be fantastic.
    -Laura Parker

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that you are there!!! A theory on the girls taking to calling Bill Baba sooner than you Mama, even though they knew you were coming. Something I found online in all my photo searches was a description of how the SWI rooms the kids. Seems they would have had a "room mother." But never a dad before. I'll paste the translated text below...

    "Welfare institution now have over 200 orphans and disabled children, were compiled into a number of groups, each consisting of several quarters, each hostel is a home. Home named the child has a same word, as we have the traditional seniority. Each home has four beds, living eight children. The nurse is the mother of this family, is responsible for the child's daily life."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Just found your blog through another - love to follow people who are in China now. When we adopted our 4 yr. old he would eat everything too until I think he felt sick. I think it must be part of never making food decisions - you eat what is placed in front of you when it is placed there or you don't eat. It has gotten better...but it takes time. And learning that no doesn't mean never, just maybe not right now. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food hoarding issue will probably go on for a LONG time. We still find food in the boys' rooms on occasion. Just remember to look for it as you know how much the bugs in FL like food lying around :-)

    Hang on to your hats - it sounds like you guys are in for a wild ride. Hopefully, things will settle down once you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I'm so happy for you all. I loved all the pictures. Maggie is so grown up and Hope's "excitement" is evident in the pictures too. Her hair is much longer than I remember from other pictures. Both girls are so pretty. Hang in there these next couple of days. God will give you and Bill the energy, stamina, and patience you need. Continually praying for the girls too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie,

    I'm so glad the girls are doing better. I've been praying for all of you. I hope a good night's sleep also helps with the bonding/attachment. It's great to see pictures of them in your arms!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos from your 1st day together. Looking forward to your next update. Praying for you as you go to the SWI.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I'm glad that the girls are smiling and beginning to adjust. We look forward to following the rest of your journey!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so nice to hear that a little bit of bonding is going on. I'm sure each day will get better. That is so cute that they were takiing pictures of the pictures on the blogs. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! It's so good to see your daughters finally with you. My daughter was very difficult in China, then miraculously turned into the sweetest thing the moment we arrived home. I hope you enjoy your stay in China and have a wonderful adoption experience.

    ReplyDelete