Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Learning!

So today is the first day of school for Tiff, Abby & Jadyn.  Hope and Maggie looked confused.  And sad.  I think they wanted to go too.  I had a busy morning with having to reschedule (and find a new doctor) appointments for the girls and then I met my friend who is leaving for China on Thursday to go over last minute things she needed to know/have.

When I got home, I could tell they were bored. So I went online. I wanted to see if I could find something to teach them how to spell/write their name.  And I found something.  Super easy for me to print out.

They were already at the table coloring when I brought the paper.  I said "This is Hope, This is Maggie". They lit up and immediately started tracing.
Learning her name
Learning her name
While they were doing that, I thought we should find some Alphabet pages for them to do.  I found some and printed out 2 pages of each letter.  They could not wait to do it.  They had to write their name on the paper.  And guess what???  They knew how to spell Hope & Maggie without looking.  All it took was them writing it about 20 times and they got it.  I was so impressed. And happy.  They got a lot of praise today.

They did the letters A, B & C today and then I had to leave to pick up Abby & Jadyn from school.  I put their work in a folder. They decided to decorate the outside of the folder. They were so happy.
Their folders
Hope's handwriting
Maggie's handwriting
I plan on doing a few pages a day (or more if they want).  We have also printed out number pages so they can get familiar with their numbers too.

One thing I noticed, Maggie is a neat freak.  She had to color her pages first (and perfect coloring I might add) and then do the writing.  Hope was eager to trace the letters and then color. She really could care less what the coloring looked like. But if she went off of the line tracing the letter, well she would erase and do it again until it was perfect.

We are calling the middle school tomorrow to set up an evaluation for them.  They are also having their first doctor appointment tomorrow with another doctor.  Our pediatrician had a baby today and is now on maternity leave.  I'm praying this doctor will run all the test we will be asking them to run.  We can't wait 2 months for our pediatrician to come back to get the check up taken care of.

I'll keep you updated!

6 comments:

  1. Great to see they are doing so well Deb - you and Bill must be very encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that the girls are so eager to learn! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) You are better at homeschooling than you thought!!! ;) Awesome to hear how great they are doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the writing of their names and the coloring is perfect. It's wonderful that they want to start learning. What more could you ask for?

    Hoping the doctor appointment goes well tomorrow. Will be checking for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I am a follower from the RQ site. Hope and Maggie are lovely!

    I am currently teaching my little girls to read and I found these resources--maybe they will be helpful to you with Hope and Maggie.

    I think Stafall as an ESL section on their site somewhee if you click around, but just the ABC games and then word sound games might be helpful to get them started.

    Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics
    www.starfall.com/

    This site has reading and writing lessons--just a couple and if you like it you can buy the books or downloads for additional lessons. The reading book is less than $20 on Amazon.

    http://www.readinglesson.com/goodys.html

    Best,
    Reena aka Calamity4e

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dolly GunterAugust 22, 2012

    Debbie check out the dollar store, they must have flash cards and such. Dad took me the $ store up here, his first time going, he kept asking how much is this? Is this a dollar? finally $46 later he learned. See it isn't too old to learn. love you MOM

    ReplyDelete