Saturday, August 11, 2012

First Flight!

Telling a child, who is OVER excited about taking her first airplane ride, that we have to wait 8 hours until we leave, well lets just say makes for a LONG day.  Hope checked the time every 5 minutes. The closer it got to 5, the more she was ready to leave.

We met Shelly on the 5th floor to check out. We were early so Bill went ahead.  She was surprised we knew how to do it ourselves.  ???  Ok.....

We drove to the airport. I think in record time.  :-)  It was about 5:20 when we got out of the van.  Checked in for the flight. They said "no passport number for girls on ticket".  Well, duh?? we just got them 8 hours earlier.  So we went to security and they said it was OK.  Whew!  We got 4 seats together (3 on one side and Bill across the aisle). and we paid an extra $5 (Bill thinks) each for premium economy.  SO worth it!!!!

We wait a good 30 min to get through security. Said our goodbyes to Shelly and proceeded to find our gate. It's about 6:00 by now.  and guess what?  Flight delayed.  SERIOUSLY????  What on earth are we going to do with an extra 30 min with these girls in this smoke filled airport with NOTHING to do?  Honestly I don't know how we survived. But we did. They went to the bathroom about 3 times.  And if a Chinese person wrinkles up their nose to the smell, well you know it smells bad.  I almost gagged.  After the 1st trip, I let them go alone. :-)

We've been stared at before during our adoptions. People are curious with white people and Chinese kids.  Well, we have been getting twice the amount of stares. Because we have TWO Chinese kids.  I'm sure there are a lot of questions going on in their minds.

OH, and what's the deal with babies/toddlers being allowed to run around public places bare bottom?  Goodness.  Gross!

So it's finally time to get on plane. We had to grab Hope's hand because she does not understand waiting in lines.  She was RUNNING to the plane, so excited. And what do the girls do? Sit in first class.  LOL  Sorry girls......

We get our seats and sit.  They are excited. Touching everything.  We were supposed to take off at 7:50 now.  Hope was upset because we told her 7:50 and well it was after 8 and we were still sitting there. Then by 8:20 we move.  And guess what?  Maggie turned GREEN!!!!  Oh my gosh!!!!  No way.  She did fine ALL WEEK.  So I grabbed the barf bags. We dealt with that most of the 1 hour 30 min flight.  No vomit, just dry heaves.  10 minutes before landing, they pass out. Seriously????  OH, at take off, Maggie was scared. Hope had her hands in the air.  Yes, Hope is definitely our dare devil.  Jadyn she will go on all the roller coaster rides with you.  Abby, we have a new sitting buddy while we wait for the rest to ride the roller coasters.  :-)

So we land. And as soon as we park, Maggie's color came back.  We got our luggage and found our AWESOME guide Kelly. We love her already.  We checked into our room and well, we had a rough night.  We had to discipline Hope because she was just over the line.  She cried. Maggie got mad and was yelling at me.  this went on what felt like forever.  I had to dress Hope because she refused.  Finally everyone calmed down and I put them to bed with hugs & big kisses.  then I sat on the bed and cried hard.  I hated that we had to discipline in China.  But the behavior has been going on too long. Maggie got up and got me a tissue. She could tell how upset the whole thing got me. I loved that she cared about me.

We woke up this morning to smiles & hugs.  Still testing us, but not as bad.

Here are some photos.  OH, the girls received their passports.  Did I post that yet?  I don't know.  I'll add a photo.

Next post about Medical Exam.....



Hope's favorite thing to do. Watch TV


Haven't moved yet. So we're happy

Dinner.  


Sleep

Sleep

Happy


Photos out of order. I forgot about these that were on the other camera. :) Those were taken before the flight.  


Shelly our Guide






Maggie practicing her letters/words

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear that Maggie got sick on the plane ride. Hopefully it was just nerves since it was her first time. You may want to consider getting her something for the flight home. I hear ginger is good, but I have no experience with it. I take dramamine when I fly. Looking at your pictures, I think that the one of you and Maggie at the airport, that the two of you look very much alike. Cute photos. Looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete