Friday, August 24, 2012

Our Week

I can't believe we've only been home 1 week. Feels like so much longer.

Tuesday the girls were scheduled for their 1st pediatrician appointment.  And 45 min before it was time, we get a call. Our pediatrician was on her way to the hospital, to have a baby.  Not deliver a baby, but to HAVE a baby.  Oh joy!  I'm happy for her, but that leaves us without a doctor.  And I need the girls to be seen before they can go to school.  So, I ask for help. Several tell me to call a few doctors. I called 1. They can't see us for a month.  So I called where Bill & I go. They see kids over the age of 12.  Good, they are 12 & 13.

Wednesday we go. They said "you're here for a school physical? I said "no, well child". They said "we don't do that here". I almost cried. Pleaded my case. She felt sorry for me. Said she would see what she could do. Came back and said "I did not realize they are 12 & 13.  Yes we can do the appointment.  They call us back. Everyone there does not believe Hope is 13.  She is measuring as an 8 year old.  The girls were great!  They did everything asked of them.  I was pleasantly surprised.

The doctor wants Hope to see a neurologist for her developmental delays, an endocrinologist for her growth delays, an orthopedic for her walking issues and for Hope to get an echocardiogram because she has a slight heart murmur.  All of this was not known to us when we accepted her referral.  On top of this, we need to see cleft doctors (which we did know we would have to do).  Hope let the doctor look into her mouth. She does have a small hole, but I'm thinking it's more like a fistula. Maggie needs to see an orthopedic also for something we were not aware of.

Wed night was the first night of youth for uprising 6th graders. So Tiff took Hope & Maggie. They were SO excited to go in Tiffs car.  Bill was at church and he said the girls did okay.  Maggie fell asleep while the youth pastor was speaking.  I'm sure it was because she had no idea what he was saying. LOL


Today we had to take the girls for blood work.  When we arrived at the lab, we pointed to our arms and motioned that they had to get blood. They were not happy.  But again, to my surprise, they did GREAT. They each had to sit on my lap when it was their turn. And they each held their arm out and squeezed their fist.  It was obvious they had done this before.  No tears, no fighting.  Just cooperation.   Once we get the labs back then their school physical forms will be finished.

The middle school called us back today.  The girls NEED to go to school.  The girls WANT to go to school.  They told me that since we do not have any school records that they will place them based on their age.  So that would be 7th and 8th grade. I said "there is no way they will survive. And we would like them in the same grade".  She said "So 7th grade?" I said "more like 6th". She said "Well the 13 year old is too old for 6th grade".  She said she would ask. I told her a few times that they do not speak English, they do not write English and that they are maybe on a 2nd or 3rd grade level.  She said she will call me back on Monday.  Please pray about this for us.  Pray that the district will do what is best for our girls, and not what is best for the district.

Bill got McD's today for lunch.  We had it several times in China.  But when I saw the girls faces light up when they opened their Happy Meals, and they pulled out the toy, I realized this was their first Happy Meal.  They ate it all. Well Maggie did not like the green apples.  So she ate more of Bills fries. LOL  Of course I took a photo of their 1st American Happy Meal.




After dinner tonight (Thanks Alisa for the amazing dinner) we popped popcorn and watched Wipe Out from last night.  All of our kids LOVED it.  So many laughs.  So many giggles.  A sound that I love to hear, a sound we have not heard a lot of lately......

Please continue to pray for our family as we learn to be a family of 8.  The girls are doing well.  I know that it's not as hard as it feels.  They are still trying to adjust to what it's like to have a family.  We are still trying to break bad habits from China.  So we have had some struggles. But....it could be worse.  They are at least responding to us.

Hopefully they will be starting school soon.  I'll keep you updated....

1 comment:

  1. Wow I can't believe they Have already went to their first youth service:) sounds like they are settling in pretty good . S happy for them! 2 more sleeps till we met Madison!!!

    ReplyDelete