Friday, August 17, 2012

Playing Catch Up! & We're HOME!!!

 OK, I was told last night at the airport "You can't keep us hanging like this."  LOL  Sorry I have not updated the blog since Tuesday.  We have been non-stop since Wednesday China time.  Facebook was the easiest way to update.  So now, I will do my best to recap the last 2 days.  So beware of a long post. LOL

We checked out of the China Hotel around 2:45 on Wed. We were so ready to leave.  We got on the bus, drove to the consulate where our guide Kelly picked up the girls passports with Visa's inside. Praise God!  They were ready.  Then we went to the train station.  It was not that bad.  We were worried about Hope getting lost.  Kelly told her something and whatever she said worked. Hope has not wandered off since. She has stayed with us and always reaches for our hands.

Our AWESOME guide Kelly
We were in train car 3 I think with a few of the other families. The girls liked the train. It was a smooth ride. So much better than the 3 hour city bus ride we had to take 2 years ago.  The train was just under 2 hours with 1 stop.  We got off at our stop with no issues.  




Us on the train
We stayed at the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott at the airport Wed night.  We were in room 777.
Yeah, the girls were excited to go to the US
We left the hotel at 7:45 and got to the airport. All checked in and got some breakfast. The girls chose a sandwich.

Breakfast at the HK airport

Ready

The girls & I sat together and Bill was across the aisle. The girls were happy to have their own TV monitor.  Unfortunately it was touch screen. The lady in front of Hope turned around about 1 hour into the flight and said "Can you please not have her hit the chair?"  Goodness lady.  So I kept watching Hope and telling her "quiet" (meaning hit hit softly).  She & Maggie played a Winnie the Pooh matching game. They loved it.  The food was gross.  We were definitely not in first class anymore. LOL  Thankfully we were in economy plus so we had a little more leg room. The girls did great on the flight. I gave them some melatonin about 3 hours into the flight.  They slept for a while. I ended up being used as a human bed.  I was SO uncomfortable.  The flight felt like it was never ending. But, they slept, and slept for probably 10 hours of the 15. So I'm not complaining.  :-)

Ready to get HOME!

Too long of a flight

Games kept Hope occupied

Maggie liked the games too

Our dinner

Hope slept

Maggie slept

The girls breakfast

My breakfast
We landed in Newark and got through customs & immigration with no problem. It took about 1 hour 30 min or so to complete.  The girls are now officially US Citizens.  So glad they make this easy for the kids.  We should receive their citizenship papers in about 45 days or so.  Of course, we go and check the status of our flight to Tampa.  DELAYED!  No surprise there. Just thankful it was not a huge delay.  The girls were tired & cranky. We got some food (found noodles & rice for them).  Then we found our gate.  Maggie had a tantrum because I wanted her to wear a skirt home.  She grabbed her dirty pants and ran off to the mens bathroom to change.  We had a power struggle and then I said "Whatever, wear the dirty pants".  Then she was happy.

Newest US Citizens

Completely wiped out
The girls sat with Bill on the way to Tampa. He pulled out the iPads and let them watch a movie. That kept them happy.  I tried to nap but it was hard.  I only slept what felt like maybe an hour on the whole flight to Newark. It was definitely catching up to me now.  But I could not wait to get off of the plane and get to my kids.  Hope & Maggie had no idea what was about to happen.

In Tampa, ready to meet family
We got off of the tram and I see everyone.  And I see Jadyn crying hard.  I ran to her.  I think I scared Hope & Maggie because they looked scared.  I had to comfort Jadyn and hug on my kids.  I turned around and tried to get them to come to me and they were frozen, scared.  Maggie did come around but was very shy.  It took Hope about 10 min to move. She cried a little.  She finally did move to a chair and we all got around her for our first family photo.

Finally all together
Seeing our family & friends at the airport was priceless to me. Knowing we have such a huge support system means so much. I feel like I did not get to spend enough time with everyone who came out. I hope you understand.  We love that you were there and I can not wait to see you again.  

We got home. The girls were excited.  Exploring everywhere.  We showed Maggie the playroom and she gasped and had a HUGE smile on her face.  We showed them every room, and told them who's room it was. They seem to like their room.  Then Bill opened their closet.  Maggie saw the dresses hanging in there.  She beamed!  

The girls took a shower and got their PJ's on.  I snapped this photo before they went upstairs.  Our 5 daughters.  Wow! Never ever thought I would have 5 daughters.  (Ethan was already passed out asleep).

Sisters forever
Abby & Jadyn asked "Can we have a sleepover together?"  So we put blankets on the floor and gave everyone Melatonin and they all smiled, said goodnight and we went downstairs.  We did not hear a sound.  I snapped this photo this morning before they woke up.

First sleepover as sisters
Ethan woke me up at 7:15 this morning announcing "I'm all done playing!!!"  So I got up and gave him some extra loving. Oh how I've missed my little man.  Maggie & Jadyn woke up around 8.  Jadyn is so precious. She wanted to make blueberry muffins and was showing Maggie how to make them and even let Maggie help.  Hope & Abby woke up around 10:30 or so.  Hope is very curious and is touching everything.  

Maggie ate the blueberry muffin for breakfast.  She did not ask for anything else.  Hope wanted baked beans, rice and noodles for breakfast. I gave her the choice of granola bar and/or muffin.  She took it, did not want it though. She ate a few bites. I said "That is breakfast".  She walked away.  She went back a little while later and finished it.  

For lunch I made Ramen noodles.  All 5 of my China kids were excited.  They also had apples too.

Our 5 miracles from China eating lunch.
I'm going on 6 hours of sleep.  I hope I can make it all day.  Tomorrow I'm spending the morning with Tiff. Can't wait!  The girls are doing well. I'm trying to have the kids bond with each other.  They are doing well.  We have not done much today.  But they are finding things to do.  Maggie is the little mother to Ethan and Ethan does not like it.  He has already yelled at her a few times.  :-)  Maggie has also washed dishes without being asked too.  And she keeps cleaning up.  

School starts on Tuesday.  I will be calling the middle school on Wed to set up an appointment to have the girls evaluated.  Right now, I feel sending them to school is the best option for them.  We'll see how I feel after I meet with the school though.  

Your love, support, encouragement etc have meant so much to us.  I will keep updating this blog with things that pertain to the girls. So keep checking.

Love & Hugs from FL!!!




5 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Debbie! I just cried when I saw the sweet photo of your FIVE daughters. FIVE! (and a sweet little man, who's the cherry on top) I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a Beautiful post. I love that your family all seems to be getting along just fine. The sleepover was such a wonderful bonding experience for them. They all look so happy. Your little guy is really out numbered now, but he's got lots of love coming his way. Enjoy your Family. I know you'll be busy getting settled, catching up on sleep, and getting everybody situated in school. Looking forward to your next update, but please, take care of your family first. I hope that some day we will get to meet in person. Thank you once again for taking the photo album of Rachel to the Orphanage for us. Seeing the pictures of it in China was awesome. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home! Can not wait to see ya'll and meet Hope and Maggie!
    Love, Emma Spangenthal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the updates! Your family is precious! I will be praying for you as everyone makes the transition to school!! SO happy you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about your family! The children are precious!
    What are all their ages and where do Hope and MAggie fit in? Younger? Older?

    It seems like they are doing so well! Yay God!!

    ReplyDelete