Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday Thoughts

Well it's Wednesday afternoon and I have a minute to blog. Not sure if I have much more than that. So I thought I would start.  We just took a 3 hour nap.  The girls were not thrilled when we said "go to sleep".  But they did. And we heard snoring within minutes.  Maggie took her position in our bed and I said "No Maggie" and pointed to the cot. She shook her head "NO". We did this 3 times. She was smiling the whole time.  Finally I changed my tone and she got up, with arms open.  I gave her a hug & a kiss and said "thank you".  Then we opened up the sofa that turns into a cot (so to speak) and asked if she wanted to sleep there. She said yes.  I was thankful to have been able to sleep.  :-)  I was afraid to kick her out of the bed, but I also need rest. I have not been able to sleep with her kicking me, laying on me, hitting me etc all night. (Have I said how active she is as a sleeper???)

Let me start from this morning.  Everyone slept a little later.  We got up, got dressed. I locked the door today and got privacy in my shower. :-)  We headed up for breakfast.  They chose the exact same thing as yesterday.  I remember my friend Vicky saying how her girls ate rice and/or noodles for weeks.  I have a feeling we'll be doing the same.  They did choose watermelon today too.  Happy to have some fruit in there.

We met Shelly at 8:30 for the zoo.  Thankful for overcast skies.  It was cooler today and there was a breeze. But we were still HOT.  A zoo is a zoo if you ask me.  The girls were not too thrilled. Hope could care less to see the animals. Maggie wanted to see them. We had 2 issues today while there that really upset Bill & I.  Hope once again being disobedient.  Maggie wanted to stop and look at one of the animal attractions.  So we stopped. Hope did not and kept walking. We told her "NO, Wait, Stop" and she looked at us and kept walking, and walking, and walking.  We watched her.  She did not stop. Our guide did not seem to worry about this behavior. We walked and could not find her.  She must have gone 1/2 mile ahead of us.  Bill was MAD. I was UPSET.  This keeps happening. She does not care what we say.  She laughs at us.  I finally told Shelly that she needs to tell Hope that if we say to Stop, she needs to listen. That when she does not listen that we get upset.  Hope seemed to understand.  We shall see.....

We finally left the zoo.  But not after they bought hot dogs on a stick and ice cream. And they complained they were hungry the whole time.  Shelly said "Did you bring food? They say they are hungry". Bill said "They are not hungry. They ate a ton 2 hours ago. She laughed and said "they say they are hungry".

We were ready to get back to the hotel.  Bill took Maggie to the store to get drinks and lunch.  They got rice again and we got KFC.  Hope & I stayed back and she acted out again. Hitting.  I took the remote and said "NO" and she was upset. But never cried.  I took control of the TV for 10 minutes.  I put in the translator "naughty" and she seemed to understand.  I gave her the remote and she was better.

After we ate, we said "sleep".  Well I've already talked about that.  So thankful for sleep.  So thankful they did not put up a fight.

One thing we've noticed in Hope (not sure if I've blogged yet) is that she seems to have issues walking. She had a hard time at the zoo.  Lots of hills and she had to take breaks.  Not sure what is wrong. If it's her hips or her legs.  But it's something that was never noted on her medical report.

We told the girls we would go swimming today.  We got their bathing suits out and they said "NO".  Honestly, I'm glad. I did not want to go to the pool.  TV is on now. Not sure how long that will entertain them. But we're happy just staying inside.  Less chance of Hope wandering off.

I'm trying to work on thoughts for a post on adopting the older child vs the younger.  Hopefully that will get put up soon.

It's 4:40. I hope we can make it to bedtime.  :-)  2 more sleeps here. I'm so ready for GZ and so ready to get home.















5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    when we adopt our daughter, around 1 month after meet her, there was a hard time because she didn't do whatwe ask her. She was young but i think she hunderstood.
    i staid on my position and it take 3 ou 4 monthes for she do what i ask her.

    Severine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big hugs, Debbie! All adoptions are hard work, but older child adoption is a special kind of hard work. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Of course I've got many thoughts of my own, and it will be interesting to see how they line up. Hang in there. You are almost to GZ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendall didn't want to stay with me at the zoo. The only good thing, she never really got out of our site. She wanted to stay and watch the chimps and we had a hard time getting her to leave that spot.

    Staying with us in China was an issue most of the trip...it gradually got better. It has been much better here in the states.

    I love the girls smiles and love how they are playing with Bill. Bonding is so special and each little thing is just another step closer!

    Kendall gets a sweet smile on her face when I tell her I love her! I love that Maggie is already telling you that!

    Thanks for posting. I have loved following along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Hope will understand that if she wonders she may get lost and that you will not be able to find her. She may get a better understanding if you hide from her and see if she starts to understand that if she can't see you, you can't see her either.

    Glad you all got to take naps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a zoo experience too, with E running way ahead. Scary and upsetting indeed. I think that was the day that we decided to lay down the discipline more! I didn't want to be the "mean" mommy, but for safety we had to. So many changes in so few days for everyone. It is tough. Older child adoption vs. younger child adoption, no comparison. Hang in there, it will get better. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete