Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rain & Tears

*Deidra, please do not read the beginning of this post to the girls. I do not want to upset them*

We woke up at almost 7 AM today.  Maggie slept with Hope (praise God). I actually could sleep last night.  Everyone was happy.  I wish we had 2 rooms because having 1 bathroom is hard. As soon as Bill or I go in there they are banging on the door like they can't hold it anymore.

(this is the part please don't read to the girls).....We Skyped Abby, Jadyn & Ethan after breakfast time (I'll talk about breakfast in a minute).  We miss them so much. I started crying when we were talking to them. I was holding it back but Jadyn could tell. I just told her I was tired.  They are happy but miss us a lot.  I'm so thankful for the friends who are spending time with them.  Then my sweet friend sent me a photo of the girls Skyping us and I just lost it.  Cried a lot (we had already hung up from Skype).  Then a minute later Tiff calls.  We have not talked to her in days because of her band camp schedule.  When we connected I could hear she was crying and I lost it again.  Bill did too.  This was hard.  Missing your kids so much and seeing them so upset.  Typing this now I'm crying.  We are just so ready to get home.  One more week. That's all I keep repeating.  One more week.....

So we went to breakfast and I did not take my camera.  Why?? Because the girls are eating the same thing and I just did not feel like taking pictures of the same food. LOL  Well guess what???  They ate different food.  Of course they did.  ha ha ha.  Hope chose spam and lotus root. It was purple (the lotus root).  Maggie tried some cereal. She did not want milk in it (she chose rice krispies) and I said 'no, okay" and poured some in.  She tried 2 bites and did not like it.  She also ate watermelon, a muffin, a hard boiled egg and lotus root.  She also asked to try my french toast. She did not like it.  Too sweet.  I'm just proud that she wanted to try something new.

Hope's favorite drink for breakfast is grape juice. I think she thinks it's alcohol.  Because we always have to do "cheers" with her.  Maggie drinks mango juice or orange juice.

So it's pouring outside.  We were supposed to go to a park. Um, not gonna happen. So our guide took us to the mall.  we said that is good because Maggie is wearing a dirty dress.  So we went. I think I counted 6 floors. We went on 2.  Could not find clothes to fit Maggie. She did buy a headband (the ones we brought from home hurt her head).  We said "take us to the walmart".  So we went. Hope found an outfit.  I'll take pictures when she wears it. then I remembered....FLAT IRON!!!  I am happy to report we found one and I bought it.  I hope it works.  Then we found books and told the girls to find some books/activity books for the airplane.  they did.  Their first choice?? Books to improve their writing.  Awesome!  Abby & Jadyn, we also found 2 activity books that we think you will love. :-)

We left Walmart with Maggie not happy. No dress for her.  So we finally found the one and only kid shop with clothes her size. She lit up.  We found 2 dresses and a pair of shoes for her.  Hope found a pair of sneakers and she also wanted a dress.  WHAT???  We told Shelly to tell her she has to wear this. She said she will.  So for 3 dresses, 2 pairs of shoes and 1 headband for Hope, it cost around $130 dollars. US dollars. OUCH!  I sure do miss my Kohl's coupons and sales.  We told them that when we get home we will take them shopping for more clothes. They said "okay" with a smile on their faces.

So we come back to the hotel. Maggie wanted us to wash the dress she was wearing. So I said "OK, but you have to wear this" (tank top and shorts from home). She put it on with a smile. She looks so cute.  I took a picture.

We are doing laundry. We are washing the 3 dresses Maggie has now and then she'll have 2 more to wear.  We are also washing her under garments (she needs little bras).  Apparently she is not thrilled with the ones we bought, but she's not complaining.

Shelly took Bill to pizza hut. I hope the girls like it. If not, he'll go get them more rice.  :-)

We are extremely tired. We are ready to leave Hefei.  Tomorrow will be a long day.  We meet Shelly at 11:30 for some paperwork (I think she give us their passport) and then at 5 we leave the hotel for the airport.  Their first plane ride. They are excited.

OH, Hope was MUCH better at the mall today.  MUCH!!!!  when we would call her she would come back. I made sure I said "Thank You Hope" every time she listened.  OH, and she has learned what "one minute" means. LOL  She'll ask me something and if I don't answer quickly enough, she said "One minute".  LOL  Cracks me up.

Have I blogged that they can sing "Happy Birthday"?  They can, in English. We were impressed.

TV is horrible. They only watch the soaps and there are a lot of blood & killings on it.  We're letting them do it now just so we can have some peace.  Hopefully on the plane they will be interested in the kid movies.

OK, so here are some pics I just took. Might not be best quality. I took them on my little camera.

Please keep praying. We can feel the prayers. Each day is a little better. The spitting is getting better. she is at least spitting in the garbage or toilet.  :-)

Love & Hugs from China.

Love Skype (Thanks Deidra for this photo)

We saw this in the mall.  Auditions for The Voice, China

The girls with new headbands, and clothes from the US

I'm happy.  I hope it works. LOL  

The girls with their new books

6 comments:

  1. One more week! One more week! One more week!! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You are going to feel SO much better when you get to GZ! Hang in there!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your aching heart over your children at home. SO hard. :(

    I am laughing over the girls wanting dresses. That is LAST thing Grace wanted to wear. And she's still that way. We've noticed that each time we've gone back, prices in China have been higher and higher. $130 was A LOT for what you bought. Yikes! But as the credit card advertisement says, "Priceless" for the happiness that you gave your new daughters. :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying every day for you guys! As I read your posts...I can so relate to your ups and downs! The little personality traits that you are learning about each girl are so sweet...and funny, and I can relate to the frustrations of the communication gaps and the behavioral stuff. I think our Josie might have been a lot like Hope when she was being adopted in China!(with less smiles than your Hope!) Let me remind you that Josie now uses manners and is very polite...she even eats quieter than she used to!! These girls just don't know any different! Sharing and cooperating is something that all of my older adopted kids had to learn (they have to learn how to be a part of a family)...some learn it quickly (Annabelle) some push back through the process...but once the TRUST/SECURITY issue is in place they will eventually get it! :-) I know God has transformed ME through it all! I am praying for you and Bill...God hand picked you for these girls! You are the perfect parents for them! I love reading your heart- felt posts! Thanks for sharing! I really want to get our crews together in the future!!! (and as much as you miss your kids back home...these two weeks with your newest daughters are key for your bonding..Parent to child. We did not realize this fact until we were home...I am praying for your heart as you "survive" the days ahead! Guangzhou will be a bright spot for you all!) Also...so cool that they are hugging and kissing you already!!
    I am so thankful for your friendship and your courage to embrace this radical life God has called you to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are living the sacrifice to leave your kids at home for 2 weeks. Gah, I remember missing the boys so bad. We missed Christmas with them. And oh, does that photo of the flat-iron make me laugh! That's a picture of actress Sarah Michele Gellar from her Buffy the Vampire Slayer days. You slay that hair, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what bras your daughter is used to, but mine wears little half-undershirt things. I got some at Target or Walmart when I got home. I found it hard to shop for my daughter in China. She's 13 and they just didn't have much in her size that either of us liked. I wanted long pants. I didn't find anything except jeans, which we both didn't like. Once home, I hit Gymboree with my 50% coupon and found two pairs of long pants that we both love, then found a few more at Children's Place 20% off and free shipping, but they aren't as warm as the Gymboree ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,

    Yay - flat iron, dresses, smiles, and progress all in one day - I was worried with the title - "rain and tears." Your kiddos do miss you, but they really are doing great! :) I can not imagine how hard it is to be away from them for so long! We talk and pray for you all daily. :) One more week!!

    ReplyDelete